Thursday, March 1, 2018

Not here for your entertainment

I know as moms we often struggle with "mom guilt" because we feel like we aren't doing enough. Some days we feel like we've got it all together and we are doing things really well, and then the next day somebody pulls the rug out from under us and all heck breaks loose and it's all we can do to keep our heads above water... sometimes it's the latter more than it's the former. The world tells us that we have to do everything and be everything and have our kids involved in activities and sports every. single. day... that we have to be on the go 24/7. Things like Pinterest has tons of ideas on how to throw the best birthday parties and how to fill each moment with excitement and meaning.

I honestly believe that that's not what God wants for our families. I feel like God wants us to be present in our children's lives to teach them love other people, to treat each other with respect and kindness and to look for ways to help those in need. I feel like what God wants from us as mothers more than anything else is to teach our children to love Him and to love and care for other people.
The bible says in Proverbs 22:6

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Notice that it doesn't say, "entertain your child and fill their days with activities all the days of their lives" because that isn't going to produce loving, empathetic, functional human beings. How often do we hear the words, "I'm bored." like we are a cruise director here to organize the next exciting thing? God didn't put me on this earth to entertain my children all day long. Don't get me wrong, I love reading to them and playing "sardines in a can" (kind of a reverse hide and seek), we bake cookies and do art projects together, but my life doesn't (and shouldn't) revolve around making sure they are entertained all day long. They need to learn to entertain themselves while I make sure they don't cut each other's hair and light the house on fire. It's good for their imagination and their character to learn to "entertain" themselves.

Don't fret over every single minute of the day, just be there for your kids and teach them to love God and love His people.
Just a recent picture I look of my husband and our middle daughter <3


No comments:

Post a Comment